Vocabulary (20 minutes)
31. The machine looked like a large ，old-fashioned typewriter.
A) forceful B) clumsy C) intense D) tricky
32. Though she began her by singing in a local pop group,she is now a famous
A) employment B) career C) occupation D) profession
33. Within two weeks of arrival, all foreigners had to with the local police.
A) inquire B) consult C) register D) profession
34. Considering your salary, you should be able to at least twenty dollars a week.
A) put forward B) put up C) put out D) put aside
35. As he has our pratience we’ll not wait for him any longer.
A) torn B) wasted C) exhausted D) consumed
36. These teachers try to be objective when they the integrated ability of their students.
A) justify B) evaluate C) indicate D) reckon
37. Mrs. Morris's daughter is pretty and ,and many girls envy her.
A) slender B) light C) faint D) minor
38. Tomorrow the mayor is to a group of Canadian businessmen on a tour of the city.
A) coordinate B) cooperate C) accompany D) associate
39. I'm enough to know it is going to be a very difficult situation to compete against three strong teams.
A) realistic B) conscious C) register D) resolve
40. Can you give me even the clue as to where her son might be?
A) simplest B) slightest C) least D) utmost
41. Norman Davis will be remembered by many with not only as a great scholar but also as a most delightful and faithful friend.
A) kindness B) friendliness C) warmth D) affection
42. Salaries for positions seem to be higher than for permanent ones.
A) legal B) optional C) voluntary D) temporary
43. Most people agree that the present role of women has already affected
A) Above all B) In all C) At most D) At last
44. Science and technology have in important ways to the improvement of agricultural production.
A) attached B) assisted C)contributed D)witnessed
45. As an actor he could communicate a whole of emotions.
A) frame B) range C) number D) scale
46. This is what you should bear in mind: Don't a salary increase before you actually get it.
A) hang on B) draw on C) wait on D) count on
47. The ship's generator broke down, and the pumps had to be operated instead of mechanically.
A) artificially B) automatically C) manually D) synthetically
48. The little girl was so frightened that she just wouldn't her grip on my arm.
A) loosen B) remove C) relieve D) dismiss
49. He never arrives on time and my is that he feels the meetings are useless.
A) preference B) conference C) inference D) reference
50. Mrs. gmith was so about everything that no servants could please her.
A)speeific B) speeial C)precise D)particular
51. Last night he saw two dark enter the building,and then there was the explosion.
A) features B) figures C) sketches D) images
52. It is obvious that this new rule is applicable to everyone without .
A) exception B) exclusion C) modification D) substitution
53. His temper and personalky show that he can become a soldier of the top .
A) circle B) rank C) category D) grade
54. During the lecture, the speaker occasionally his point by relating his own experiences.
A) illustrated B) hinted C) cited D)displayed
55. Only those who can to lose their money should make high-risk investments.
A) maintain B) sustairt C) endure D)afford
56, He found the media attention intolerable and decided to go abroad.
A) sufficient B) constant C) steady D) plenty
57. There has been a collision a number of cars on the main road to town.
A) composing B) consisting C) involving D) engaging
58. elephants are difthrent from wild elephants in many aspects, including their tempers.
A) Cultivated B) Regulated C) Civil D) Tame
59. Ten days ago the young man info~ed his boss of his intention to .
A) resign B) reject C) retreat D) replace
60. As one of the world's highest paid models, she had her face for five million dollars.
A) deposiled B) assured C) measured D) insured
Part IV Cloze (15 minutes)
Directions: There are 20 blanks in the following passage. For each blank there are four choices marked A), B), C) and D) on the right side of the paper You should choose the ONE that best fits into the passage. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the centre.
Wise buying is a positive way in which you can make your money go further. The 61 go about purchasing an article or a service can actually 62 you money or can add 63 the cost.
Take the 64 example of a hairdryer. If you are buying a hairdryer, you might 65 you are making the 66 buy if you choose one 67 look you like and which is also the cheapest 68 price. But when you get it home you may find that it 69 twice as long as a more expensive 70 to dry your hair. The cost of the electricity plus the cost of your time could well 71 your hairdryer the most expensive one of all.
So what principles should you 72 when you go out shopping? If you_ 73 your home, your car or any valuable
Before you buy a new 76 , talk to someone who owns one.If you can,use it or borrow it to check it suits your particular 77 .
Before you buy an expensive 78 ,or a service,do check the price and 79 is on offer. If possible, choose 80 three items or three estimates.
61. A) form B) fashion C) way D) method
62. A) save B) preserve C)in D)similar
63. A) up B) to C) in D) on
64. A) easy B) single C) simple D）similar
65. A) convince B) accept C) examine D) think
66. A) proper B) best C) reasonable D) most
67. A) its B) which C) whose D) what
68. A) for B) with C) in D) on
69. A) spends B) takes C) lasts D) consumes
70. A) mode B) copy C) sample D)mode
71. A) cause B) make C) leave D) prove
72. A) adopt B) lay C) stick D) adapt
73. A)reserve B) decorate C) store D) keep
74. A) products B) possession C) material D) ownership
75. A) run B) interval C) period D) time
76. A) appliance B) equipment C) utility D) facility
77. A) function B) purpose C) goal D) task
78. A) component B) element C) item D) particle
79. A) what B) which C) that D) this
80. A) of B) in C) by D) from
Part V Writing (30 minutes)
Directions: For this part, you are allowed 30 minutes to write a campaign speech in support of your election to the post of chairman of the student union. You should write at least 120 words following the outline given below in Chinese
A Campaign Speech